ARELEN is an outcome of the Tempus project "Leadership in Higher Education Management".
Universities in the Arab region are facing severe challenges relating to their future development. These challenges are the result of general trends in international higher education and broader societal changes, especially in recent times. Universities are operating in an international arena that requires sound management systems in order to respond effectively to an ever-growing demand for higher education provision, the need to maintain and further improve the quality of teaching and research.
Given the demographic development in the Arab region, whilst taking into account limited resources, universities have to become more efficient and effective in their operations. This requires specific skills and competences for their current and future leadership. ARELEN serves as a network that will help universities and academics to better be able to respond to the demands placed on them by society and current and future generations of students.
ARELEN will support universities in their transformation process through the provision of a platform to exchange best practices and experiences between universities in the Arab region. At the same time, ARELEN will function as a bridge between the Arab region and Europe to increase international cooperation and for universities in the two regions to mutually learn from each other.
ARELEN Mission and Vision
ARELEN is focused on cooperative activities between universities in the Arab world and Europe. With a network comprising of 200 Arabic Universities and 100 European universities, ARELEN is ideally suited to build bridges and offer Best practice wherever it exists.
An active network which engages in finding solutions to educational issues that currently exist. It will establish itself as an authoritative and expert advisory body on MENA - EU educational issues.
Benefits of ARELEN membership
ARELEN will support its members in the following ways:
• Encourage capacity building activities through specially designed workshops ;
• Spread Best Practice in teaching, learning and management;
• Inform European universities of the problems facing Arabic universities;
• Disseminate European solutions to current global problems in Education;
• Offer unique and direct networking opportunities to all members;
• Enhance the global visibility of all members;
• Influence decision making in the Arabic countries both locally, and nationally;
• Provide discussion opportunities for current educational issues.